Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Music at VOA: Willis Conover - 2

It was my good fortune to meet Conover several times after I came to Washington in 1986 as Chief of VOA's Urdu Service, though as it turns out, we ended up talking more about science fiction and fantasy literature (an obsession of mine in my youth), particularly the author H. P. Lovecraft, on whom Conover had written a book--"Lovecraft at Last"--the 1975 first edition of which is now a collector's item with a selling price of up to $1150!

But since I don't have any really memorable musical recollections of our meetings, I've spoken with VOA Radio Broadcast Technician David Bodington, who was Conover's studio engineer for the last two years of his life, and who has promised to share with us some choice recollections in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I'm happy to post (with their permission), a fine television feature on Conover produced by Svetlana Prudovsky and Alisa Krutovsky of VOA's Russian Service, voiced by VOA News' Wayne Bowman, and broadcast on 14 October 2010:

No comments: